Thursday, November 24, 2011

And There Was Thanksgiving

It has been a tough couple of weeks here at Poplar Springs Farm.  From the last post you learned that Steve had shoulder surgery on the 8th and new starving horses came on Saturday the 12th.  Their pictures were on the last blog.  On Sunday, we had a cow with a problem that required the vet, and I also noticed that Petey, or Lucky Pete, the smaller horse in the worst condition was on the ground.  After we took care of the cow, we moved over to the horse.  To make a long story short, he was way too weak to get up, even with the electrolytes administered and the steroids, etc.  We had no choice but to leave him there, hoping that he would gain strength, but unfortunately, when horses get down like this, it is difficult for them to recover.  Monday came, and all I could do was feed him and set him up so that he could drink water.  Tuesday, he was still on the ground, and I had a doctor appointment in Knoxville.  I called the vet again and discussed options on getting him up.  I remembered that Steve had gotten a cow up with a hoist several years ago and  that just maybe we could do that.  But where oh where could we get one?  A light bulb goes off...I am in Knoxville, and so is the University of Tennessee Vet school.  Lucky, lucky me!  I started with the Deans office and ended up with the equine doc.  He just happened to be a native of Ecuador.  Do my stars line up or what?  And yes, he just happened to have what I needed, but he would have to talk with my vet.  All of them are UT Vet school grads, and of course, I could take  the hoist, but I could only use it for 24 hours.   I called back to the vet, and yes, he and a super vet tech could meet me at the farm after he went on a call further in the mountains to doctor a potbellied pig!  A quick call to a couple of neighbors, one that was good with horses and tractors, and the other just to be an extra for support, and we were in business.





My neighbor was driving the JD since my number one driver is under the weather. We had to take him about a quarter of a mile where I had set up a temporary stall for him. We would have to stop about every hundred yards to that he could rest and so the vet and vet tech could as well.  Me too, but I was just moral support.





He actually had to walk about 10 feet into the stable because the front end loader  on the JD was too high to come into the shed.  My neighbor readjusted and brought the JD in so that the hoist could hold Petey up if he fell.  We kept him in it about 4 hours, but he seemed to do fine, so off it came and the next day, it went back to UT.






He stayed up for for 7 days, and back down he went.  I had gotten supplies to make a temporary hoist, just in case this happened.  Another call to my neighbor and we got the temporary hooked up and he was back on his feet again.  Two days, down again.  Called the neighbor yesterday morning and we got him up again.  Tonight, he was still up.  His attitude is great, well except when I was putting diaper creme on his skinned places like the vet told me and he obviously didn't like it and he tried to kick me.  Twice even.  I laughed and told him that  I was glad that he was feeling that good and he could get away with it until he really got to feeling better.  Then there would be consequences for kicking.  


We are still somewhat in a touch and go situation with this little horse.  He was starved within a couple of days of his life's end.  This one will take a long time to come back.  His appetite is good, and he has gained a little weight but he just has to get some muscle mass back, especially in his hindquarters.  


He will be loved, and touched, and talked to.  He will be laughed at, rubbed and told how beautiful he is.  I hope to convince him that before long, he can be running in the pasture playing horsey games with the other guys.  


But today, we are giving thanks that he and all the other furry babies are doing well.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that there are people like you. I love horses & it broke my heart to see this lovely animal in that situation.
    God Bless you.

    ReplyDelete